When you retire, if you become disabled, or if someone you depend on dies, we are there when you need us. You can access your information, benefits, and important services from just about anywhere with your personal and secure my Social Security account. With your my Social Security account, you can:
• Compare future benefit estimates for different dates or ages when you may want to begin receiving benefits.
• Check the status of your benefits application or appeal.
• Review your earnings history.
• Request a replacement Social Security card (in most states).
If you already receive benefits, you can also:
• Get a benefit verification or proof of income letter.
• Set up or change your direct deposit.
• Change your address.
• Request a replacement Medicare card.
• Get a Social Security 1099 form (SSA-1099).
You can even use your my Social Security account to opt out of receiving certain notices by mail, including the annual cost-of-living adjustments notice and the income-related monthly adjustment amount notice. These notices are now available in your Message Center when you sign in to your account. We will send you an email that a new message is waiting for you, so you never miss an important update.
It’s easy to sign up for a my Social Security account. Please let your friends and family know that they can create their own my Social Security account today at www.ssa.gov/myaccount.
Danny Zimmerman is the Social Security District Manager in Maryville, Missouri.