MARYVILLE, Mo. — Since the COVID-19 health crisis pushed back the election to June 2, voters soon will head to the polls to decide the formation of Nodaway County school boards, town councils and township boards as well as bond issues and tax levies.
No names will appear on the ballot for the Maryville R-II Board of Education because three candidates filed for the three open positions on the board. Sean Wiedmaier and Jason Haer will retain their seats, while Kelley Baldwin will fill the seat vacated by Roger Baker. The board already has reorganized. Baldwin, Haer and Wiedmaier have taken their places on the board.
As for the city of Maryville, incumbents Ben Lipiec and Rachael Martin filed to retain their seats for three more years.
Elsewhere in the county, four of Nodaway’s 15 townships — Independence, Lincoln, Nodaway and White Cloud — will ask voters to approve road maintenance bonds.
Lincoln and White Cloud townships are each seeking approval of bond debt in the amount of $150,000. Bond totals in Independence and Nodaway total $100,000 and $200,000 respectively.
Two school districts are seeking approval of non-tax-increase tax levy extensions.
The South Nodaway R-IV is seeking approval for its Proposition C.A.R.E. (Community Action Reinvesting in Education) to increase the current debt service property tax levy to borrow $1 million.
The proposition states funds will be used to better school facilities including districtwide safety and security measures, constructing indoor access from the gymnasium to classrooms and other repairs and improvements.
If this proposition is approved, the adjusted debt service levy of the school district is estimated to remain unchanged at $0.5900 per one hundred dollars of assessed valuation of real and personal property.
The Northeast Nodaway R-V is seeking approval of its Proposition NEN Improvements, to increase the current debt service property tax levy to borrow $1.3 million.
The proposition states funds will be used for site development and completing other repairs and improvements to the existing facilities.
If this proposition is approved, the adjusted debt service levy of the School District is estimated to remain unchanged at $0.7707 per one hundred dollars of assessed value real and personal property.
Candidates filing for spots on rural school and town aldermanic and council seats are listed below:
- West Nodaway R-I - Three-year terms. Vote for two: Dennis Chitwood, Troy C. Brady, Kellee Dawson, write-in.
- South Nodaway R-IV - Three-year terms. Vote for three: Rick Holtman, Patrick Swinford, Janet Hilsabeck, write-in.
- Northeast Nodaway R-V - Three-year terms. Vote for three: Jamie Busby, Marshall Coffelt, David Atkins, Jeffrey S. Redden, Leslie Wilmes, write-in.
- North Nodaway R-VI - Three-year terms. Vote for two: Jason Thompson, Danae Halvin, Samantha Brown, Shaundi Dobbins, Jennifer Clements, Timothy Blackford, write-in.
- Nodaway-Holt R-VII - Three-year terms. Vote for three: Eddie Stiens, Jane Hanson, Dustin Jenkins, Jim Fuhrman, Nick Madden, write-in.
- Worth County RIII - Three-year terms. Vote for three: Michael Don Mullock, Amber Monticue, James (Jim) Larson, Adam Downing, write-in.
- Arkoe - Trustee. Two-year terms. Vote for three: write-in
- Burlington Junction - Mayor. Two-year term. Vote for one: Justin Plymell, Dean Kelley, write-in; Councilperson. Two-year terms. Vote for two: Darby Grace, Martha Greeley, Brian Hunt, write-in.
- Clearmont - Mayor. Two-year term. Vote for one: Byron Clark, Jack McElroy, write-in; Board of Aldermen. Two-year term. Vote for two: Patricia McElroy, Herb Snodderley, Peggy Younger, write-in.
- Elmo - Mayor. Two-year term. Vote for one: Christopher Thompson, write-in; Council person. Two-year terms. Vote for three (2): Skyler McGinness, Matthew Saville, Justin Viglino, write-in.
- Graham - Mayor. Two-year term. Vote for one: Darrell Johnson, write-in; Board member. Two-year terms. Vote for two: Randy Hankins, Cory Anderson, write-in; street levy, $1.14 per $100 of assessed valuation for three years.
- Guilford - Council Person. Two-year terms. Vote for two: Gary Pulley, write-in.
- Hopkins - Northward Alderman Two-year term. Vote for one: Rick Gladman, write-in; Southward Aldermen. Two-year term. Vote for one. Allan Thompson, write-in; general fund levy renewal, $0.20 per $100 assessed valuation for four years.
- Pickering - Mayor. Two-year term. Vote for one: Charles Smith, write-in; city council, Two-year term. Vote for two: Juliana Judd, write-in.
- Ravenwood - Mayor. Two-year term. Vote for one: write-in; North Ward Council Person. Two-year term. Vote for one: Jeremy Faustlin, write-in; South Ward Council Person. Two-year term. Vote for one: Colby Wiederholt, write-in.
- Skidmore - Mayor. Vote for one: Sandy Wright, write-in; council members. Two-year terms.Vote for two: Robert Manning, Ruth Louise White, write-in; Question: Shall the City of Skidmore, Missouri, be authorized to forgo its annual election if the number of candidates who filed for a particular office is equal to the number of positions in office to be filled by the election?
FIRE PROTECTION DISTRICT
- Bolckow Fire Protection District - Board Member. Six-year term. Vote for one: James M (Mike) Hutson, Clay D Smith, write-in.