MARYVILLE, Mo. — Due to a last-minute plea deal, Kylan Harrell spent about 10 minutes in the Nodaway County Courthouse on Tuesday afternoon, pleading guilty to misdemeanor resisting arrest.

As a part of the deal reached between Robert Sundell, counsel for the Northwest Missouri State University Student, and Nodaway County Prosecuting Attorney Robert Rice, two counts of misdemeanor assault in the fourth degree were dismissed by the state.

In Judge Doug Thomson’s court, Harrell solemnly said he signed and agreed to the plea deal.

Judge Thomson accepted the plea deal and explained that Harrell will begin serving his 48-hour jail sentence at 6 p.m. on Friday, Sept. 13.

Harrell said he just found out about the plea deal Monday.

“Literally, yesterday … not even a 48-hour window,” he told The Forum. “It’s been a long seven, eight months we’ve been going through this and trying to do a lot of background work just to be granted my options yesterday.”

A large contingent of Northwest Missouri State University students arrived at the courthouse offering support, even praying with Harrell before the trial. Harrell spoke to the group before and after his trial, thanking them for their support.

“It honestly lifted,” he said about the students who attended his trial. “I’ve been going through this alone. I’ve been trying to stay quiet about it, but everyone coming to support me and backing me, it means a lot.”

The charges stem from an incident on March 16, 2019, when Harrell was arrested after a fight broke out at Molly’s Party Club. According to the probable cause statement, Harrell was arrested for attempting to stop Sgt. Wayne Wilson, of Maryville Public Safety, from leaving the bar with his friend; then resisting arrest by slapping the hands of and pushing then officer Aaron Jones.

According to Jones’ report, after telling Harrell he was under arrest, he began to fight. But after a brief struggle, Jones was able to gain control and take him into custody.

Body camera footage from the scene along with video surveillance from the bar played a role in the trial.

“Absolutely it did,” said Rice. “Body camera footage and the surveillance footage from Molly’s absolutely played a huge role in that it made everything obvious.”

Satisfied with the outcome of the trial, Rice said Harrell apologized and that the two days in jail sentence is appropriate based on his conduct that night.

“The bottom line is you can’t put your hands on an officer,” he said.

Follow us onTwitter@TheDailyForum


(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.

Thank you for Reading!

Please log in, or sign up for a new account and purchase a subscription to read or post comments.