Home by Sonja fire

Debris is shown scattered across a concrete deck Tuesday morning following a fire at Home by Sonja, a residential decor business located at 217 E. First St. The building sustained minimal structural damage, but Maryville fire Capt. Phil Rickabaugh said the interior and its contents were largely destroyed by smoke and heat.

MARYVILLE, Mo. — A local business just east of downtown was damaged by fire Monday evening.

Maryville Public Safety fire division Capt. Phil Rickabaugh said firefighters were summoned to Home by Sonja, 217 E. First St., shortly before 6:30 p.m. after the owner, Sonja Wolbert, spotted smoke coming from the corrugated metal building and called 911.

Arriving on the scene minutes later, firefighters found flames engulfing a computer desk located on the northeast side of the home decor shop’s retail space.

Rickabaugh said the flames were contained to the workstation, but that the entire interior of the building, which contained lamps, furniture and various decorator items, sustained significant smoke and heat damage.

Structural damage to the building was minimal, he said.

The store was unoccupied at the time the flames broke out, and there were no injuries. Rickabaugh speculated that the fire was caused by some kind of electrical malfunction.

Firefighters were on the scene for slightly more than an hour. 

Follow us onTwitter@TheDailyForum

Staff writer Anthony Brown can be reached at tbrown@maryvilledailyforum.com or by calling the newspaper at 660.562.2424.